Monday, September 10, 2012

Week 3- Second Portfolio

The Frightster, Jacob Lantern, and Vincent the Bat
  The drawing I have chosen to go into detail about this week is of this villain, the Frightster.
I made this, as per usual, with pencil and paper, which should give our villain and his minions an appearance similar to the illustrations in horror comics like Tales From The Crypt and The Vault of Horrors . I feel that the Frightster was quite difficult to create, since I wanted him to be scary, but not too nightmare-inducing. It was for this reason that I drew Jacob Lantern first, since I already had his initial design thought up right off the bat. I first considered his face to be wrapped in bandages like a mummy, but that seemed a bit too grisly, so I settled for a cheap Frankenstein mask to make it seem a tad more lighthearted.   

The Frightster, obviously, is a horror-themed villain in a similar vein to The Scarecrow of the Batman franchise. His disheveled and somewhat grotesque appearance, with his dirty trenchcoat and sneakers suggests a tragic backstory and a predictably gruesome lifestyle.

  
What is especially noticeable at first glance should be the Frightster's Frankenstein mask, which seems goofy, and, at the same time, ironically menacing. Also worth noting are his hook hand ( with a cork stuck on the end) and the other hand being covered by a rubber monster glove.


  
Piefaced Piper
Slugman

Double Dare



Herr Menevolence
Flyspeck

Fairy Scrodmother

No comments:

Post a Comment