Sunday, November 11, 2012

Week 12-11th Portfolio

For this week's assignment, I was tapped to create an image portraying a representation  of a common saying or expression taken literally.

The saying I have portrayed here was "Shooting fish in a barrel", with a shady-looking man pointing a gun, ready to fire, into the mouth of a barrel of fish down at the docks.

I created this piece with pencil and paper, and gave it color through the use of colored pencils. I elected to outline the man and the barrel with black pen to make it stand out against the background. I had numerous ideas about what saying I could adapt into a literal representation of it. I had pondered over "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse", "Mind your P's and Q's", "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth", and "Poor fish". That final idea triggered my decision to use the one that I went with. 

The first detail that should capture the viewer's attention should be the very essence of the gag. There's the gun, there's the barrel labeled "fish"; do the math. The next most noticeable detail in this piece, I think should be the man who's about to shoot the fish. The clothes that he's wearing, as well as his bald head, suggests that he lives a life of piracy. The striped shirt he wears is very similar to the ones worn by buccaneers in so many pirate stories. The final detail to be noticed is the setting. The darkened building off to the right and the discarded rope and bottle suggests that this is sort of the "bad part" of town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment