Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Week 9-8th Portfolio


      This week, I was tapped to create a drawing that was inspired by a work I saw at the Art Institute. I what I created was inspired by Exquisite Corpse, a collaborative piece created in 1928 by Yves Tanguy, Man Ray, Max Morise, and Andre Brenton:


Exquisite Corpse, 1928 
Mating Call
   I created this piece with pencil and paper, and used colored pencil and marker I obtain a similar style to the piece it is based on. I have taken it upon myself color my works, since I used color in my previous two pieces, which were received well my my instructor and colleagues.

     What is depicted here is a bizarre creature constructed of various musical instruments (his feet are bulb horns, which was mistakenly cut out of the image) calling out to its mate in a most unusual fashion. There really isn't any point to this work other than to be surreal for the sake of being surreal,which, admittedly, could also be said for most of my other works.

   The first thing that should be noticed when viewing this piece are the various instrument parts sticking out of the creature's anatomy: the bagpipes tubes and cymbal sticking out of its head; a concertina and a clarinet for arms; a tambourine on the tip of its tail; and a drum for its body. The second most noticeable detail should be the way the musical notes flying out of the creature's mouth appear all crooked, which suggest a few sour notes, much like how the mating call of a moose sounds.
The final most noticeable detail would be the appearance of the horn coming out of the creature's mouth, which I drew as such to provide a similarity to Exquisite Corpse


No comments:

Post a Comment